Monday, March 15, 2010

drinking and driving part 2

so im in my car and i leave. they say most accidents happen close to home, well i can truthfully say this one did. it was LITERALLY around the corner from where i lived. i leave the lot and go around the corner and i feel the back end of my car kick out on me. no big deal ordinarily, but because i was so messed up, i couldnt compensate properly so i start zigzagging across the street (fortunately it was a oneway). i zigzagged til i hit the curb blew a tire and probably broke the tierod as well because i couldn't steer off the curb no matter how hard i pulled the wheel. i see the telephone pole coming closer and closer. fighting harder and harder to pull off the curb when OHSHIT!!!!!!!!!!

i wake up to a bright light, wondering if this is the light at the end of the tunnel they always talk about. saying to myself over and over i dont want to die, its not my time yet. praying; please dont let me die on the side of the road. i start to focus more and realize that it is a police officer. SHIT! now im screwed.

he says to me "do you know what happened?" "yeah" i said " i had a fucking accident!" (im now really aggravated: dui, no car insurance, no health insurance) officer says to me "dont even try to tell me you werent drinking tonight because i could smell it as soon as i got out of the car. are you able to get out from the vehicle" "no" i said (from the impact i had stuffed myself into the dashboard, hands stuck under the column, and feet stuck under the glovebox) "well let me go call rescue and theyll get you out" the cop said.

now im really aggravated knowing everything im up against, even more aggravated that im stuck in the damn car, the absolute WORST pain i have ever been in. so i'm me (the old me lol)getting REALLY aggravated and i tense up and somehow i pulled my hands out from under the column. SWEET im thinking, now i can at least get unstuck. grab my feet pull them out, and pull myself out of the car. stand up and SMACK!!!! i fall on the ground. cop turns around and yells out HOLY SHIT! runs over(i did all this before he got back to his car) "YOU?! you got yourself out of that?" he said. all nonchalant i reply "yeah." he asks me why i fell so i told him "idk theres something wrong with my leg, cuz as soon as i stood up it went out on me." he helps me up and asks if ill please sit on the curb til rescue gets here. "sure no problem" i tell him "i just wanted to be unstuck".

i dont remember much after that til halfway thru my ambulance ride to the hospital. don't remember much after that til im waking up at about 4am in the e.r. and then again at 845. still no clue what happened as far as injuries, i was just concerned about making it to work on time lol (yeah i have a strong work ethic haha) reaching for my busted cell phone to call work and let them know i was going to be late. nurse comes running over yelling at me to put it away and asks "WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CANT USE THAT IN HERE?!?!" told her i wanted to let work know i was gonna be a little bit late. she says "honey do you even know what happened to you last night?" i said "yeah i had an accident, but dont know the extent of my injuries." "WELL" she said "you dislocated your hip so youre gonna be more than "just a little late"

eventually my roomie finds out what happened and they come to see me. turns out i had broken my ankle and dislocated and fractured my hip. so yeah that turned into being about 4 months late for work. i had to go for surgery and have a plate put in my hip with 5 screws to help fuse the bone together. i was in the hospital for a month. i had 2 weeks of in hospital rehab, and then a couple of months at home. during my inhome rehab is when the livestrong bracelets first came out.

i was having a tough time with my rehab at home one day and wanted to just say fuckit and let it heal however and just deal with it cuz the pain was so bad. i looked at the bracelet and thought if lance armstrong can overcome what he went thru and be as successful as he is, then my little rehab is nothing. i sucked it up and continued with it. that was initially why i got my livestrong tattoo



since then ive known quite a few people who have battled cancer and lost, battled cancer and won, and are battling cancer. so it also goes out to them.

did i learn a lesson from that night? yes a very valuable one. life is precious. value everyday that you wakeup and make the most of it. live each day as if its your last. dont sweat the small things(still learning to not sweat the small things as once in a great while they get to me but, so far and few between i basically dont sweat the small things, nowhere near the way i used to) in life, as there are things much larger to worry about. that night changed me in a major way. changed me for the better.

i have changed SO much since then its almost like: "the night i was reborn"

No comments:

Post a Comment